ARTICLE 11 | EVANGELISM & MISSIONS
It is the duty and privilege of every follower of Christ and of every church of the Lord Jesus Christ to endeavor to make disciples of all nations. The new birth of man’s spirit by God’s Holy Spirit means the birth of love for others. Missionary effort on the part of all rests thus upon a spiritual necessity of the regenerate life, and is expressly and repeatedly commanded in the teachings of Christ. The Lord Jesus Christ has commanded the preaching of the gospel to all nations. It is the duty of every child of God to seek constantly to win the lost to Christ by verbal witness undergirded by a Christian lifestyle, and by other methods in harmony with the gospel of Christ.
- Genesis 12:1-3 >> The church’s mission is rooted in the fact that we are steward’s of God’s blessings. God gives us these blessings not just to make us feel blessed, but so that we can overflow those blessings into the lives of others.
- Exodus 19:5-6 >> God’s desire is to make all of His people a kingdom of priests who serve as mediators & ambassadors of the glory of God to the rest of the world.
- Isaiah 6:1-8 >> Isaiah shows us that the proper response to beholding the glory of God is to offer our lives in submission to advancing His fame to all peoples.
- Matthew 9:37-38; Luke 10:1-18 >> God is the Lord of the harvest & all of His people are workers in His field. We should be actively praying for more people to rise up & labor to bring the harvest of souls God is planting & preparing for harvest.
- Matthew 10:5-15 >> God doesn’t call us to haphazardly proclaim His Gospel of the Kingdom without any concern as to the person who is hearing. Instead, He calls us to look for people in whom His Spirit is working. We will know these people by their peaceful invitation towards us.
- Matthew 13:18-30, 37-43 >> The only right response to the Gospel is the fruit of faith in God. Much Gospel seed will be sown, but many don’t receive it.
- Matthew 16:19 >> To the church, God has given the Gospel. The proclamation of this Gospel is the key to people coming into the Kingdom.
- Matthew 22:9-10 >> The Gospel is meant to be proclaimed to all people.
- Matthew 24:14 >> The promise Jesus made to us is that nothing can stop the Gospel — it will go forth to all nations because it is fueled by the power of God transforming one life at a time.
- Matthew 28:18-20; Luke 24:46-53; John 20:21; Acts 1:8; Revelation 22:17 >> The Great Commission is about impacting people as you go throughout your life walking in the Spirit, making disciples, education them concerning the words of Jesus, & baptizing them by immersion.
- John 14:11-12 >> Because of Jesus sending His Spirit to indwell believers, Christians exponentially multiply the impact Jesus began in His ministry.
- John 15:7-8,16 >> God chose us to bear Christ-exalting fruit before the eyes of the watching world, making known to those around us that we are following Christ.
- John 17:15 >> If Jesus had wanted us to escape the world, He would have taken us out of it immediately upon getting saved.
- Acts 2 >> The Gospel witness of the early church began with the Spirit-filled preaching of the Word.
- Acts 8:26-40; Acts 10:42-48; Acts 13:2-3 >> God went to extraordinary lengths to make sure that the Gospel was proclaimed to nations other than the Jews.
- Romans 10:13-15 >> God’s design for salvation is for people exercise their faith in response to the internal witness of the Spirit & the external witness of the messenger.
- Ephesians 3:1-11 >> To Paul, God revealed the mystery Christ was establishing a church family that was not just going to be a monocultural body of people, but one made up of all nations, being brought to peaceful coexistence through the Cross of Christ.
- 1 Thessalonians 1:8 >> The church in Thessalonica is an example of a prolific Gospel witness.
- 2 Timothy 4:5 >> While not all pastors are evangelists, they are called to lead the way in evangelism for their church family.
- Hebrews 2:1-3 >> God has chosen to use His people to communicate the Gospel message, but we are not alone. His power is at work in that message & the Holy Spirit is at work in the people we are talking to.
- Hebrews 11:39-12:2 >> We should glean great boldness from those who have gone before us & be courageous in sharing our faith.
- 1 Peter 2:4-10 >> Those who receive Christ are brought into a royal family & are made messengers of the new covenant. Those who reject Christ stumble a fall into their own destruction due to that rejection.