On Saturday, July 27 a combined team of brothers and sisters in Christ from FBC-Abbeville and Pleasant Plains Baptist Church from Headland, AL will be leaving for the Dominican Republic with John Gunter and Hope Here International Ministries. It is an exciting time for us as a church family as we seek to build this missions partnership. However, don’t be fooled into thinking that just because you are not traveling down to the Dominican that you can’t participate in this missions endeavor. Consider this verse from Paul to the Philippian church:
I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.
(Philippians 1:3-5 ESV)
Even though the Christians in Philippi were not physically with Paul, he still saw them as a significant part of his ministry to the Gentiles. How so?
- They sent him support >> Just as many of you have donated funds, the church at Philippi supported Paul’s ministry through monetary donations (Philippians 4:18).
- They prayed for him >> God had laid the burden of Paul’s welfare on the hearts and minds of the Philippians (see Philippians 4:10). They responded with support, but they also responded with prayer.
With that in mind, how can we pray for our mission team? Here are a few ways to be interceding for them as they travel and minister:
- Safety in travel.
- Favor as they pass through customs.
- Good health and an abundance of energy and strength.
- Protection from any and all danger.
- God’s blessing in team ministry activities.
- The salvation of souls and the strengthening of believers.
- Restful sleep at night in unfamiliar surroundings.
- Adjustments to cultural differences.
- Flexibility as plans change for whatever reason.
Specifically, pray 1 Chronicles 16:24 for our mission team, that they would boldly:
Declare his glory among the nations,
his marvelous works among all the peoples!
(1 Chronicles 16:24 ESV)